How we review gear...

Product reviews on this site are conducted by DART adventure racing team members and have been used in the field by the author. We prefer our sponsor's product based on our history of use, however we do review sponsored and non sponsored products equally and without predjudice. We will list both pros and cons and will give you the most objective information to help you make critical decisions about what you take into the field.

Tuesday, March 6, 2007

Arc'teryx, Gamma MX

Personally I think that endurance athletes make the best product testers on the planet. We are in our gear for very long periods of time and we hammer on it. I wore my new Gamma MX soft shell from Arc’teryx exclusively for 17 hours of ski mountaineering during the 24 hours of Sunlight race this past weekend. I think without a doubt Arc’teryx makes the best gear on the planet, and this coat is probably the best I’ve ever worn. I fought the soft shell revolution while the industry buzzed and everyone I knew bought one - I somehow did not. Because of the 24 hours of sunlight was, well, 24 hours, I had laps that were completed in the mid teens as well as some that were -8 degrees. The only thing I changed was how many layers I had under this jacket. For the warmer afternoon laps I had one super thin layer on under the Gamma MX. In the dead cold of 2:00am I simply added another light weight breathable long sleeve. The wind stopper protection was perfect for the cold down hills in the middle of the night and because it’s soft-shell it breathed very well on the way up in the sun. It also dried extremely fast as well. This is the best technical piece of ski gear I own. You can find it for around $300.00 US.
Written by Matt Hart

No comments: