How we review gear...

Product reviews on this site are conducted by DART adventure racing team members and have been used in the field by the author. We prefer our sponsor's product based on our history of use, however we do review sponsored and non sponsored products equally and without predjudice. We will list both pros and cons and will give you the most objective information to help you make critical decisions about what you take into the field.

Tuesday, March 6, 2007

Rudy Project, Ekynox

I have owned a pair of 2006 Rudy Project Ekynox sunglasses since last April. I have adventure raced, mountain bike raced, worked, and skied with them all year. They are very comfortable, good looking, and (most of all) durable.

The durability of these sunglasses became starkly apparent to me during a ski trip. It was a beautiful, sunny Northwest winter day and the Ekynox specs were a necessity.

Just after noon, I was ripping down the mountain at 25-30 mph came upon a well concealed “cat track”. Before I knew what hit me, I was kissing the hard packed snow with my face. Ouch! The impact flipped me forward onto my feet (skis ejected) 20 feet further down the hill. To my surprise, my face was unscathed. My Ekynox glasses had taken to brunt of the fall on the right temple of the frame, just under the brim of my helmet. Equally amazing was that the glasses were undamaged! Had I not been wearing my Rudys, I would have sustained significant facial trauma. The Rudy Project site states that the Ekynox frames are made with “Grimlamidä TR 55 LX construction providing structural integrity and stability”. I would add “safety” to that description. Great sunglasses for any sport!
Written by Tyler Patterson
Photo by Tyler Patterson

No comments: