How we review gear...

Product reviews on this site are conducted by DART adventure racing team members and have been used in the field by the author. We prefer our sponsor's product based on our history of use, however we do review sponsored and non sponsored products equally and without predjudice. We will list both pros and cons and will give you the most objective information to help you make critical decisions about what you take into the field.

Friday, March 16, 2007

Montrail, Hard Rock

The Montrail Hardrock is my "go to" running shoe. I might race in a lighter shoe from time to time but I put in most of my miles in the Hardrock. This is because it is the most supportive and protective trail shoe I have found. It protects my foot from the elements. The shoe was designed for ultrarunners running the Hardrock 100, considered the hardest of the 100 mile ultramarathons. The course is notorious for rough rocky terrain including extended scree sections. The hardrock has a protective plate that runs the entire length of the sole for protection when you land on those jagged rocks. This past winter I ran the Presidential Traverse in my Hardrocks. This traverse is 26 miles of nothing but rocks. Without the Hardrocks I would have suffered severely. Instead I finished without a single blister or injury. Recently in training i put in a 200+ mile week of trail running. I would not attempt this with any other shoe period.

I occasionally suffer from knee pain and have had surgery on one of my knees. With the Hardrock I know I'm getting the most cushion and supportive trail shoe on the market. This shoe takes care of me and fits great as well. The reinforced heal cup keeps my heal in the shoe and happy when climbing. And for those long days on the trails there is plenty of room in the toe box for your toes to move around (and not blister). I know many people who use this shoe for various other activities. Hikers are starting to realize they don't need a big leather boot to hike. I have many friends who use the Hardrock as their main hiking shoe, or even an approach shoe.

If you want a great protective trail shoe, or are someone who puts in a lot of miles the Hardrock is the shoe for you.

No comments: